When the Dell XPS 15 fan makes annoying noises, sometimes it becomes too hectic to handle it. The fan sounds as if they are adjusted up to 100%. This could be caused by a lot of issues like overheating and even the accumulation of dust.
When dust accumulates in the vents of Dell XPS 15 fans vents, it will interfere with its operations. Therefore, no need to panic since there are innumerable tips to help you solve this comfortably from your home base.
In this article, I am going to take you through easy tips. The tips will enable you to resolve the problem efficiently. It is always advisable to try the entire tip once it fails. You are not tied to one tip when it comes to solving Dell XPS 15 fan noise. You can quickly fix the problems on your own. In case you feel you cannot handle some tips, consult an expert. The expert or specialist will guide.
Easy solutions to Dell XPS 15 fan noise
1. Install Dell power manager
Installing a dell power manager can help solve the problem. There are easy steps to follow to install the dell power app on the laptop. Before installing the app, consider saving all the unsaved work and closing all the running programs.
Easy steps to follow;
- Browse the Dell XPS 15 driver page.
- Use the drop-down menu and select systems management.
- Then click the download dell power manager service option. Always avoid closing the browser window.
- After downloading the dell power manager service, use the drop menu under select BIOS in the categories displayed.
- Click download the latest BIOS.
- After that, click the file listed in the taskbar to start the installation process. The laptop will automatically restart during this process.
- Press and hold the windows key on the laptop, then press the q key once the computer restarts.
- Type dell power manager in the search box.
- Once the list is displayed, click the dell power manager app.
- Click on the thermal management tab. It will display four thermal settings. Select your preferred choice. The most preferred choice is a quiet setting with a cooling fan and processor.
Then select a balanced or quiet mode to adjust the fan’s noise.
2. Consider installing an antivirus
Various types of viruses such as malware can be the cause of the fan’s noise. This is because the virus makes the laptop or device overheat hence making the fan over spin. Installing or updating the antivirus app is a solution to dell XPS 15 fan noise. You can decide either to go for the premium ones or choose the ones provided by Windows 10.
3. Check and clean dell XPS fan vents
Try cleaning and dust accumulated in the fan vent to prevent the generation of annoying sound. Dislodging the dust will enable the fan to operate effectively. You will be comfortable using the laptop anywhere. You will not be afraid of any unpleasant sound coming out of the fan.
Easy steps to follow in cleaning dust accumulation in dell XPS fan;
- Firstly unplug the device from the socket.
- Using a tiny screwdriver, remove the bottom panel of the Dell XPS 15 fan. This is because the fans are located beneath the laptop.
- Remove the battery.
- Using compressed air, blow away any debris and contaminants from the vents. Then, you can use a lint-free piece of cloth to wipe the dust away.
- Once you have dislodged the dust, return the battery.
Be careful during this process to avoid damaging the entire laptop.
Best Cleaner For Your Laptop
Laptops quickly pick up grime, dust, dirt, and smudges. To keep them clean, you’ll need several tools specific to electronics. These are the best tools to clean your laptop from keeping crumbs out of your keyboard to removing smudges off of the touchscreen.
4. Run a hardware diagnostic test
Several hardware components in the computer could be the cause of the unpleasant noise from the fan. Here are simple steps to run a hardware diagnostic test on a dell XPS 15 laptop.
a) Firstly reboot the laptop and press the F12 key on the laptop. You will see the dell screen displaying before the window screen.
b) You will get to see the black boot menu screen.
c) Use the up/down arrows on the keyboard, click on diagnostics, and press the enter key.
d) A few pre-boot tests may occur and ask you some questions. Answer them, then at the end of the tests, press any key on the keyboard to boot the utility partition.
e) The hardware diagnostics screen will appear while loading some software. Next, click on the custom test button on the four menus displayed.
f) Click on the run test button.
Once you perform this test, you will be able to identify any hardware which is damaged. This is because overheating is caused when the hardware components are not working effectively. This leads to overheating in the system, making the fan overheat because it has a lot of heat to dissipate.
5. Close any unnecessary processes on the laptop
This is because this unnecessary process makes the system unstable. This results in overheating, which makes the fans over spin. Once closed, they can help solve the unpleasant noise from the fan. Always ensure that your dell XPS 15 has no unnecessary processes.
6. Get rid of unnecessary programs from the background
Ensure you close background programs that are not in use. This helps in reducing the system load. Save all the unsaved work before doing this to avoid losing important files or data. You are required to open the programs once you are using them then close them after use.
7. Update the Dell XPS 15 windows to the latest version
Once you update, you will be able to solve this problem. This is because the system will operate effectively without any obstructions. As a result, there will be lower chances of overheating, making the fans operate at a moderate speed. In addition, unpleasant and annoying sounds from the fan will be significantly reduced. To update the windows to the latest version, follow the following steps.
- Click the start button on the dell xps1 5
- Click on the setting option displayed.
- Touch on the update and security.
- Click windows update.
- After that, check for the latest window version available.
- Update to the latest window of your preference.
8. You can reduce the resolution of the windows from 4k to HD
You can easily change the windows resolution anytime. For instance, you can lower the resolution when gaming. This will help reduce the unpleasant sound from the fan. To reduce the resolution in the windows, follow the following steps.
- On the device, press the start button, choose Appearance and Personalization, and then change screen resolution.
- Select resolution from the drop-down menu, then drag the slider to the desired resolution and click apply.
- To utilize the chosen resolution, choose it and click retain.
9. Consider adjusting the power options to increase the battery life
By doing this, you will be able to reduce performance. Heat will also be decreased, thus preventing the fans from overheating. As a result, Dell XPS 15 fans will be in a better place to perform effectively.
10. Use the laptop in a more relaxed room
Extreme temperature in the room will interfere with the normal functioning of the fans. In case the room has high temperatures, you can move to another room. By doing so, you will be able to reduce the unpleasant noise produced by the fans.
When cleaning your gadget, avoid using your tongue to blow away dust. Moisture can cause irreversible harm to electronic and electrical components when they become wet. Numerous power supply systems come equipped with a fan as well. To avoid causing damage to the fans, refrain from attempting to reach the power source.
In conclusion, there are innumerable solutions to dell XPS 15 fan noise. The above article clearly illustrates some of the standard solutions one can adopt. In case one of the solutions fails, you can opt for the next one. If the above solutions fail to work, consider buying another fan for replacement. This is because the problem can be caused due wear and tear of the fan.