High pitch noise from the dishwasher can cause a lot of irritation, especially during the cleaning process. Also, the noise indicates there is a severe issue with your dishwasher parts, such as the washer pump, motor, among others.
Some people tend to ignore the noise and continue their cleaning process, which is not recommendable. Therefore, if the Lg dishwasher makes high pitch noise, consider fixing the problem instantly.
Some people try fixing the problem rather than contacting a professional plumber. Luckily, the article below shows the leading causes of high pitch noise in the dishwasher and a step-by-step guide on troubleshooting such problems.
Reasons for high pitch noise in Lg dishwasher and the troubleshooting tips
There are several reasons for the Lg dishwasher making noise during the spinning cycle. The problems are easy to fix and do not require consulting skilled personnel as long as you understand how each part functions and how you can fix it in case of any problem. The following are the common causes of Lg dishwashers making noise.
1. Clogged dishwasher pump
A foreign object can stick inside the pump and prevent the pump from rotating freely. The clogging issue usually occurs during the cleaning process, and substances that can stick inside the pump include; leftover foods that become organic debris with time, broken dishes, among others.
Once the pump is clogged, water flowing into the pump becomes restricted, and a grinding noise is produced as a result.
If you hear a funny noise coming from the dishwasher cleaning the dishes, try troubleshooting the problem yourself before seeking help from a skilled technician.
- Before repairing the pump, unplug the dishwasher.
- Find the location of the dishwasher pump.
- Turn on the dishwasher and hear if a grinding noise is emitted.
- Open the dishwasher door for a couple of minutes to eliminate the noise.
- Leave the door open to allow the steam present to disappear, and remove the bottom rack carefully to avoid damaging it.
- Scrutinize the pump and identify the clogging substances such as food remains, broken glasses, among others.
- Remove the clogging substances using appropriate equipment such as a thin brush or any other soft material to avoid damaging the pump.
- Rinse the pump and recheck to ensure there is no clogging substance left, and then proceed to the next part.
- Disconnect the dishwasher screen after finding its location. It is located under the spray arm.
Remove any organic debris present in the screen and the filter. Clean both the screen and filter with warm water and recommended detergent or soap to remove any remaining food grease. After cleaning the screen and filter, proceed to the pump housing cap.
Inspect the pump housing cap and clean all dirt and organic debris present in the housing cap and food disposer blade.
After removing all food items and broken dishes from all parts present in the dishwasher pump, proceed to clean the bottom of the dishwasher by following the steps below.
1. Using a screwdriver and a wrench, unscrew the upper impeller and locate the position of the food grinder blade.
2. Check the food grinder blade if there are any clogging substances present such as food items. Clean the food grinder and the chopping blade area using warm water and soap.
3. After cleaning all pump parts, reinstall them back into their position. If the parts are worn out, replace them with the recommended ones.
4. Test the pump to see if it is functioning correctly. If not, consider seeking help from a skilled technician.
2. Low water supply into the Lg dishwasher machine
Insufficient water spraying into the dishwasher is another common cause of dishwasher emitting grinding noise. Once the water spraying in the dishwasher reduces, first, inspect the dishwasher parts and identify any faults. Also, use the information below to solve the grinding noise produced by insufficient water spraying into the dishwasher.
- Disconnect the dishwasher and inspect it carefully.
- Examine the parts such as the water inlet valve for any blockage. If organic debris has accumulated inside the valve, remove them using a thin brush or an old hairbrush.
- Flush distilled vinegar down the inlet valve to remove any stuck material. Leave the distilled vinegar for a couple of seconds, approximately thirty minutes.
- Rinse the inlet valve to remove all vinegar present in the valve.
If the above method fails to eliminate the grinding noise, consider seeking help by taking the dishwasher to the nearest repair shop or consider replacing the whole dishwasher if you are financially stable.
3. Damaged wash motor
Switch on the wash motor to detect any rattling noise. If the motor emits a rattling noise, it is a sign that the motor is at fault or fails to function.
Once the motor is damaged, consider replacing the whole dishwasher rather than replacing the wash motor. The Wash motor is expensive, and the buying price is almost similar to the price of a new wash motor.
4. Loose spray arms
Loose spray arms result in the production of banging noise. Once the spray arm becomes loose, they bang the dishes continuously, producing a banging sound during the cleaning process. It is advisable to fix the problem immediately to avoid damaging the spray arm and breaking the dishes. To fix the problem, follow the steps below;
- First, arrange the dishes in the dishwasher to eliminate the banging noise.
- Fix the loose spray arm to prevent it from hitting the dishes.
- If the banging becomes rapid even after rearranging the dishes, call a plumber to inspect the whole dishwasher, identify the water humming problem, and fix the situation accordingly.
- Consider replacing the spray arm if necessary, especially when the spray arm fails to function as usual.
5. Distorted ventilation fan
If your Lg dishwasher makes high pitch noise, it may result from a fault ventilation fan. Once the ventilation fan fails to function normally, it produces a high pitch noise. To fix such a problem, follow the steps below:
- Collect all materials necessary for fixing the fault ventilation fan.
- Disconnect the dishwasher and find the location of the ventilation fan.
- Inspect the ventilation fan carefully to detect the presence of any faults.
- If there is dirt in the fan, consider cleaning the fan using a vacuum cleaner. A vacuum cleaner sucks all dirt present leaving the fan clean. Also, shake the ventilation fan to remove dirt.
- Test the ventilation fan to see if it is functioning well. If the problem persists, replace the ventilation fan with an original on0.e.
When buying a replacement ventilation fan, consider the following factors. First, purchase a ventilation fan of high quality to last longer. Also, buy an original machine from a licensed seller. Finally, buy a ventilation fan that perfectly suits your machine model and is affordable. It is advisable to consult the manufacturer before replacing the ventilation fan or any other machine part.
6. Poor circulation pump
If the dishwasher motor bearings are faulty, low or no water pressure is produced via the spray arms resulting in the production of high pitch noise. To fix the issues, replace the pump or the motor with a new one.
Despite the dishwasher being necessary for our daily cleaning routine, it may sometimes produce high pitch noise to indicate failing machine parts. Luckily, the article above shows the leading causes of high pitch noise and the best ways of troubleshooting the problem.
Finally, ensure you frequently clean the dishwasher to remove any dirt that may affect the dishwasher severely. Also, consider following the manufacturer’s instructions on how to maintain the dishwasher to reduce repair costs.