Lg refrigerator making noise when the door is closed, a regular operation in the fridge since it shows the fridge is running. However, when the fridge makes loud noises like humming, buzzing, grinding, and squealing, the fridge has some issues that need troubleshooting.
Before troubleshooting the LG refrigerator, first, identify the causes of the noises and the exact parts that the noise is coming from, then find a solution for the reasons for the noise.
However, understand the manufacturer’s manual on the best ways to troubleshoot refrigerator systems and take precautions while troubleshooting the problems. The manufacturer’s manual gives you an idea of what to do. Below are the causes and solutions to the refrigerator noise when the door is closed.
Causes And Solutions of LG refrigerator noise when the door is closed
The Lg refrigerator makes different kinds of noises when running. The noises result from various causes, which are from the inner components of the refrigerator like the fan, condenser, compressor, and motor. Read the reasons, follow the steps to check the causes, and fix their steps, respectively.
1. Failing condenser motor in the fan
If the condenser motor in the fan fails to work effectively, the temperature levels in the refrigerator increase, forcing the compressor to overheat, which later leads to noise in the refrigerator when the door is closed. To check a failing condenser motor, follow the steps below;
- Switch off the LG refrigerator by disabling power cables from the sockets.
- Move the refrigerator away from its position near the wall in most cases.
- Open the refrigerator by removing the rear panel to check the inner components of the fridge.
- Wipe the fan blades to remove dust and some other particles to clean it.
- Clean the vacuum tubes thoroughly.
- Switch on the fan blade to check if it is in a good state.
- If the refrigerator is not working, then action is needed.
Solution; replace the condenser motor
After inspecting the condenser and you find that it has some issues, then it needs a replacement. Collect all the requirements you need, like the screwdrivers and a new condenser motor to replace before starting the replacement process. The steps below show how you can return the faulty condenser with a new one.
- Disconnect the cables that connect the condenser motor to the battery at the back end of the LG refrigerator for safety purposes.
- Unfix the condenser screws using a screwdriver so that removing the motor becomes easy and free from damage.
- Place the screws in a tool kit to prevent loss of the screws.
- Remove the fan blade from the LG refrigerator.
- Remove the faulty condenser motor in the LG refrigerator.
- Replace the new condenser motor, return the fan blade fix all the screws, and connect the cables
- Put on the LG refrigerator to monitor the new condenser motor.
2. Bad evaporator fan motor
Evaporator fans help in ventilating the evaporator coil when the compressor is running. A lousy evaporator fan motor in the LG refrigerator produces a squealing noise in the refrigerator while running. Squealing in the evaporator fan occurs mainly when the fan blades have a problem, frozen evaporator, or bent condenser coils. The steps below show how to check a bad evaporator fan.
1. Switch off the refrigerator by unplugging all the power cables and displacing them from the wall to an open place where you can view the parts accurately.
2. Remove the rear panel by unscrewing the screws that hold it and placing the screws in a magnetic kit using a screwdriver to store them from loose and remove the panel so that you can locate the fan motor in the refrigerator.
3. Disable the fan motor from the refrigerator by removing the screws attaching it to the fridge, then gently pull it up with care.
4. Check the condenser coils and wipe dust that accumulates in the coil using a soft refrigerator brush for cleaning.
5. Clean the fan blades using alcohol that keeps the blades free from rusting in the refrigerator.
6. Measure the resistance of the motor using a multi-meter and record the reading in amperes.
7. If the readings are abnormal from the device’s normal operations, then the evaporator fan motor is defective and needs replacements.
Solution; replace the evaporator fan motor
When the evaporator fan motor is misbehaving, then it needs a replacement for the LG refrigerator to work. After checking the issue, then use the steps below to fix a new evaporator fan motor.
a) Please switch off the LG refrigerator by unplugging all the cables connecting it to the power supply from the main switch to maintain the safety measures when handling electrical-related devices. Displace the fridge from the wall to an open place for visibility.
b) Remove the rear panel from the refrigerator by removing all the screws, and removing the heat sink and the battery to disconnect the power supply to the fan motor.
c) After removing the rear panel that covers the inner parts of the refrigerator, locate the evaporator fan motor.
d) Disconnect the nuts holding the motor to the refrigerator and remove the faulty motor gently using fingers by pulling it out from the LG refrigerator.
e) Fix in a new evaporator motor and tightly screw the nuts on an excellent connection with the refrigerator.
f) Switch on the refrigerator to confirm the changes.
3. Faulty fan blade
When the fan blade is faulty, the LG refrigerator will be noisy by producing either humming, whirring, buzzing, or grinding sounds when the door is closed. A defective fan blade makes a loud humming noise when the LG refrigerator is closed and running. Use these steps to check for a faulty fan blade;
1) Disconnect the refrigerator from the power supply source by removing the cables connecting it.
2) Open the inner parts of the LG refrigerator by removing the rear panel using a screwdriver to unplug the screws.
3) Cite the location of the fan blade and identify the mistakes. If you find the fan blades are loose or they have been damaged, then it needs a replacement.
Read More: GE Ice Maker Keeps Making Noise- How to Fix?
Solution; fix a new fan blade
Following the steps while checking for a faulty fan blade, fix the new fan too as follows;
- Unplug the refrigerator from the power supply by putting it off.
- Remove the rear panel to access the fan blade by unscrewing the screws using a screwdriver.
- Remove the faulty fan blade gently to avoid injuries from the blade.
- Fix a new blade and run the refrigerator for the new changes.
Frequently asked questions
What is the primary function of the LG refrigerator?
Lg refrigerator is a digital refrigerator that uses control features with the aid of the LG app in a smartphone and is voice-based to control its operations using its voice.
The article above shows the causes and solutions for fixing the noises that come from the LG refrigerators. Fixing the problems helps in the effective functioning of the LG refrigerator, provides a calm and relaxed environment in the house, helps in reducing electricity bills, and prevents the LG refrigerator from having further damage.
Consider following the manufacturer’s instructions to help in the troubleshooting process. If you lack enough knowledge on the LG refrigerator, consult a technician to help you open the refrigerator, check the issues with it, and help you fix them.